Newborn PREPARATION Guide
This preparation guide will help your session go more smoothly. If you’re unable to follow any of the guidelines, please don’t worry! I’ll do whatever it takes to ensure that I’m able to capture those timeless images you’re envisioning. If that means patiently rocking your little one for 30 minutes or taking several feeding or cuddling breaks, that’s ok!
Before the session
• Please give your baby a bath the day prior to the session.
• If you are breast-feeding, try to avoid eating anything spicy or gas inducing (i.e. pizza, spicy sauces, garlic, broccoli, thai/indian food, high fat etc.) that might upset baby’s tummy for 24 hours preceding your scheduled session. It’s best to stick to a relatively bland diet the 24 hours before your session.
• ***DO NOT CIRCUMCISE your baby boy right before your session. I will be wrapping him tightly while naked and moving him between different poses which can be painful with a raw circumcision. Newborn boys WILL NOT be photographed if they have been circumcised less than 5 days prior to the session.
Newborn Session Clothing Guide
Having a new baby can be exhausting, so it’s best to plan your outfits well before your due date. Here are some general guidelines for making picture-perfect style choices that will stand the test of time. Feel free to contact me if you need styling suggestions!
Colors for the studio
Earth tones like beige, khaki, olive green, taupe, cream and brown are all great colors for the studio. You will be photographed on a cream, medium brown, or gray colored backdrop, so choose colors that will complement one of these tones.
• If you prefer to dress yourself, choose a simple dress or blouse that coordinates with dad’s clothing. Or choose to be wrapped in a neutral-toned studio fabric. A nude/white bra is best
• Choose a solid colored long or short-sleeve shirt, solid colored button-up, or knit sweater in the earth tones mentioned above.
• Dads may also choose to be photographed shirtless and skin-to-skin with baby.
• For boys, jeans or khaki pants paired with a solid neutral shirt/sweater that complements mom and dad’s clothing choices. No logos, please. Or he can go shirtless for a natural look and feel.
• For girls, a simple dress with no pattern or a subtle pattern looks best. Soft pinks also work nicely with a cream backdrop. We have a small selection of girls dresses In the studio, ranging from size 18 months – 6. Most girls under the age of 4 will also fit into our newborn headbands.
During the session
• The studio will be warm during the session so that your baby remains comfortable. There will also be a small space heater to keep your little one warm. Please dress in layers so that you can remain comfortable during the session.
• Newborn sessions generally take 2.5 hours. If a toddler is involved, a session may take up to 3 hours.
• Please take advantage of this time to rest! I generally won’t need any help, but I’ll be sure to ask you if I do!
• I recommend having no more than yourself, your spouse/partner, children and one guest if necessary. Too many extra people in the studio make for somewhat challenging creative conditions and can be distracting.
**No cameras are allowed during your session
I understand this is a momentous time in your life that you want to capture. However, I work very hard to create unique, artistic images for you and another camera can be distracting and uncomfortable.
Please be respectful and kindly refrain from taking pictures during your session. You will see all of your final images just two short weeks after out session. Trust that it’ll be worth the wait!